Hope everyone had a good week. I have another simple yet delicious meal to share with you. This dish uses butternut squash which tastes really good as a pasta replacement and it's really filling too. It's a little bit more effort as you have to peel the butternut squash (compared to using courgette) but it's well worth it. I try and choose squashes that are almost straight as it's much easier to spiralize. You need to cut the bottom bit off where the seeds are as you can't spiralize this bit. I usually scoop out the seeds and chop up the flesh for soups or add it to curries. I also chop up the core and throw it back in the dish to avoid any wastage.
The prawns and pancetta work well together in this dish. I love the creaminess of the dish which is filling yet healthier than having regular pasta with cream. You can easily adapt this recipe for vegetarians or swap out ingredients you don't like for others that you do. This would also work well with chicken breast slices or turkey.
It's also going to Extra Veg hosted by Michelle from Utterly Scrummy and Helen from Fuss Free Flavours.
Makes 2 generous portions
2 butternut squashes, peeled and spiralize as shown
1 pack of cooked large king prawns
1 small pack of cubed pancetta
1 large white onion, chopped
1 box of chestnut mushrooms, sliced
apprix 200g spinach
3 - 4 heaped tablespoons mascarpone cheese
parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- First prepare the butternut squash as shown.
- Place the squash noodles on a large baking tray lined with foil. Drizzle with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake the butternut squash noodles in a preheated oven of 180C for about 10 minutes.
- In a large pan, fry the pancetta and onions until the onions are soft and the pancetta is cooked.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a few minutes.
- Stir in the butternut squash noodles, prawns and spinach.
- Add the mascarpone cheese and stir.
- Once everything is heated through, it's ready to eat otherwise the spinach will wilt and the prawns will shrink.
- Serve with some grated parmesan cheese if desired.